The Dnipropetrovsk region targeted by several strikes
Dnipropetrovsk in southeastern Ukraine was attacked by Russian missiles this morning. The head of the regional military administration, Valentyn Reznichenko, said there were “several hits during the morning attack on the region”.
“The Russians have targeted energy infrastructure facilities in Dnipro and Pavlohrad. Serious destruction is recorded. All services are operating on site.”
Major cities, including Kyiv, were hit by missile strikes on Monday morning with critical energy infrastructure again targeted by Russian forces.
Missile strikes hit major Ukrainian cities, including capital Kyiv
A series of missile strikes hit major Ukrainian cities on Monday morning, with the capital Kyiv and towns in the northeast and south targeted, according to regional officials.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said on Telegram that part of the capital had been “cut off” by the strikes, which he said had hit critical infrastructure. “There is no water supply in some areas,” he said.
In his latest message, he said engineers were working to restore electricity supplies after damaging an energy facility that supplies around 350,000 apartments in Kyiv. Local authorities have called on townspeople to stay in air-raid shelters until the air alert is over.
An adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called the wave of missile strikes “massive”.
Elsewhere, the mayor of Kharkiv in northeastern Ukraine, Igor Terekhov, said there were two “arrivals” in the city which had hit critical infrastructure in the city this morning.
More strikes were reported in the southern Ukrainian city of Zaporizhzhia, with city council secretary Anatolii Kurtiev posting on Telegram that Russian forces had “attacked critical infrastructure”, causing power outages in the city. “Information about casualties and the extent of the damage is being clarified,” he said.
The spate of missile strikes comes after Russia on Saturday accused Ukraine of carrying out a drone attack on its Black Sea Fleet off Crimea. Ukraine did not say whether it was responsible for the attack.
Wheat prices rise nearly 6% after Russia pulls out of grain export deal
World wheat prices began to rise after Russia withdrew from the Black Sea grain export deal last weekend.
The most active wheat contract on the Chicago Board of Trade jumped 5.8% to $8.77-1/2 a bushel around midnight London time, according to Reuters, after hitting a high of $8.93. the bushel. Corn and soybean prices also increased.
The increases come after Russia announced on Saturday that it was suspending its participation in the Black Sea Grain Initiative which was negotiated in July and which allowed the export of vital agricultural products from several Ukrainian ports.
Russia announced on Saturday that it was withdrawing from the agreement indefinitely after accusing Ukraine of a “massive” drone attack on the Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol in Crimea.
Ukraine did not say whether it was responsible for the attack. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia’s withdrawal from the initiative was “rather predictable” and the global food crisis would worsen.
An aerial view of the Sierra Leone-flagged dry cargo ship Razoni which left the port of Odessa on Monday, arriving at the Black Sea entrance of the Bosphorus Strait in Istanbul, Turkey, Aug. 3, 2022.
Anadolu Agency | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images
Moscow’s decision was “an absolutely transparent Russian intention to deflect the threat of large-scale famine to Africa and Asia,” Zelenskyy said, adding that “access to food has actually deteriorated for more than 7 million consumers”.
The UN and Turkey, which helped Ukraine and Russia reach the grain deal, have agreed a plan with Ukraine to help move 16 ships (12 outbound and 4 inbound) stranded in the maritime corridor used to export cereals.
The grain export control agency, the Joint Coordination Centre, said in a statement on Sunday that “in order to continue to realize the Initiative, it was proposed that the Turkish and United Nations delegations provide tomorrow 10 inspection teams aimed at inspecting 40 outgoing vessels. This inspection plan was accepted by the Turkish delegation. ‘Ukraine. The delegation of the Russian Federation has been informed.’
Several buildings destroyed in Donetsk, police say
More than 30 buildings have been destroyed in the Donetsk region as a result of Russian shelling, the Ukrainian national police said on Monday.
Donetsk region police said the destruction occurred following 24 attacks on the civilian population and that “there were casualties and injuries”.
Sixteen settlements came under fire, including the towns of Avdiivka, Bakhmut and Lyman and other villages, with 22 residential buildings destroyed along with city council premises, utility buildings, garages and cars, police said .
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described in his overnight address how Ukrainian forces repelled a “brutal” Russian assault in the Donetsk region. Bakhmut and Avdiivka have seen intense fighting in recent weeks.
Ukraine repels ‘brutal assault’ by Russian troops in Donetsk region
Howitzers from the 53rd Mechanized Brigade fire at Russian points in Bakhmut, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine, October 28, 2022.
Anadolu Agency | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Sunday that Ukrainian forces repelled a “brutal” offensive by Russian troops in the eastern region of Donetsk.
The president said a military unit from Chop in western Ukraine repelled the offensive, but did not say where the fighting took place. In recent weeks, however, heavy fighting has centered around Avdiivka and the strategically important town of Bakhmut.
“Today they stopped the brutal onslaught of the enemy” Zelenskyy said in his evening speech. “The Russian attack was repelled,” he said. He also hinted that Russian soldiers had been taken prisoner and could be used in future prisoner exchanges.
On Saturday, Russia announced it was suspending its participation in the Black Sea Grain Initiative, an agreement reached in July to allow agricultural shipments from Ukraine.
Zelenskyy said 218 ships were now “effectively stranded” following the failed initiative and that Moscow was “putting the world on the brink of a serious food crisis”.