The man who cut off the GPS arrested

Copyright © 2022 Albuquerque Journal

Police arrested a homicide suspect in a vacant southeast Albuquerque apartment on Wednesday — weeks after he allegedly cut off his ankle monitor while awaiting trial.

Yonnis Abreu (MDC)

Yonnis Abreu, 20, is now back behind bars at the Metropolitan Detention Centre, facing an additional charge of resisting, evading or obstructing an officer stemming from his arrest.

Abreu is already charged with an open count of murder in the March 2021 death of 29-year-old Dylon Spiess, who was shot at the American Inn and Suites on East Central.

Abreu was arrested in July 2021 and a judge initially ordered him to remain behind bars until trial. The judge reconsidered nearly a year later, releasing Abreu with pretrial conditions, including an ankle monitor.

Around July 30, authorities announced that Abreu had cut off the monitor and was in the wind.

Sevia Gonzales, spokeswoman for the 2nd Judicial District Attorney’s Office, said GPS surveillance “is not the appropriate tool to protect the public from dangerous defendants, especially those charged with homicide.”

“It is unfortunate that the court released Mr. Abreu on GPS after previously granting our office’s request to detain him,” she said. “Shortly after his release, Mr. Abreu turned off his GPS ankle monitor, preventing any monitoring of his actions.”

Abreu’s attorney did not respond to a call and message seeking comment.

The homicide suspect showed up Tuesday during an unrelated search of abandoned buildings.

Around 1 p.m., police were clearing what were thought to be vacant buildings in the 700 block of Bell SE near Zuni and Pennsylvania, according to a criminal complaint filed in Metropolitan Court. Officers arrested a man who had left one of the apartments and he told them his sister and a baby were also inside.

A woman and two men also came out of the apartment and were arrested, according to the complaint.

One of the men – later identified as Abreu – gave a false name of “Christian” but his real date of birth.

Police say officers matched a booking photo of Abreu to the man passing by Christian and recognized him from Albuquerque Metro Crime Stoppers flyers. Then a sergeant said “Yonni” out loud and Abreu stood up.

An officer went to handcuff Abreu and he ran.

“Force was eventually used to apprehend (Abreu) ​​and I handcuffed him,” according to the complaint.

Previous The Story of Tiny Houses, Intertwined Problems and a BC Municipality
Next Grealish-Mahrez partnership makes Manchester City more predictable