WSL: Shaw double helps Manchester City beat Spurs as Everton beat Villa | Women’s Super League

Manchester City manager Gareth Taylor has warned there is ‘more to come’ from two-goal match winner Khadija Shaw after inspiring a 3-0 away win Tottenham in the Women’s Super League.

The Jamaica international led the opener four minutes before half-time and doubled her tally early in the second half with a 25-yard effort before Lauren Hemp added a late third for the clinical visitors.

It took Shaw’s tally for the season to seven in all competitions, including five in the WSL, but the City manager warned the 25-year-old could reach greater heights in her second campaign at the club. .

Taylor said: “She had a good season last year but people kind of forget about her. She took on the responsibility of wearing number nine for this club and is a young player.

“She has a lot more to come, I believe, but she will score goals. She has proven it before and has proven it here.

A difficult day for Spurs saw Ellie Brazil taken off on a stretcher after sustaining a potentially serious injury in the third minute. Brazil, a summer signing for Spurs, impressively shut down visiting keeper, Ellie Roebuck, but injured herself blocking the clearance. Brazil’s left leg had to be put in a splint and she left to hearty applause after a long delay.

“It was a blow,” said his manager, Rehanne Skinner. “She was in great shape and yes, obviously she didn’t last very long in the game, unfortunately.

“It was a 50-50 situation and she got into it. Sometimes that happens but I spoke to her at half-time and she was much more comfortable then. We obviously need a scanner to understand what we are dealing with to decide what we will do to move forward.

City were able to settle better after the restart with Esme Morgan and Hemp, one of the many Lionesses in the away roster, sending efforts wide before Deyna Castellanos tested Rebecca Spencer in the home goal in the 25th minute. Spencer saved well from Castellanos and equalized Yui Hasegawa’s long-range shot after 40 minutes as well, but in the resulting corner City took the lead.

Lauren Hemp points to the sky after making it 3-0. Photo: Manchester City FC/Getty Images

Alex Greenwood produced a pinpoint delivery into the area Shaw encountered on the run, sending a well-timed header into the bottom corner. Tottenham responded to the opener with their remarkable first shot, but Ashleigh Neville sliced ​​in at the far post after Angharad James’ cross to ensure it was 1-0 at the break.

City had enjoyed over 70 per cent possession in the opening 45 minutes and were able to assert their dominance early in the second half. James was stripped inside his own half and Hemp passed to Shaw, who took his shot early and drilled into the bottom corner from 25 yards out.

The striker nearly scored his hat-trick on the hour mark but Molly Bartrip netted a timely interception on Kerstin Casparij’s reduction. In between, Shaw had taken a bullet to the face at close range, but was able to continue.

Chloe Kelly looked to get in on the act soon after and her effort from 20 yards was deflected by Asmita Ale. Shaw squandered another opportunity with 21 minutes to go when she missed Laura Coombs’ pass and it briefly lifted the hosts.

Eveliina Summanen produced a dangerous cross before Drew Spence curled in, but City delivered the punch in the 76th minute.

Coombs found Hemp, who knocked down Amy Turner before firing a left-footed shot off the post to wrap up the scoring with his third goal of the season.

Lucy Graham celebrates scoring the game's only goal
Everton’s Lucy Graham (left) celebrates scoring the game’s only goal against Aston Villa. Photography: Andrew Boyers/Action Images/Reuters

Lucy Graham’s goal was the difference for Everton who found his way back to victory after beating AstonVilla 1-0. The midfielder’s second-half strike sealed three points for Everton, who move to fourth in the table while Villa drop to sixth.

Both sides started well but Villa began to build up the pressure at Bescot Stadium, advancing into the Everton area as Rachel Daly and Laura Blindkilde were close to finding a first game.

It was Everton who broke the deadlock after 57 minutes when Gabrielle George burst down the left to cross Graham, who was hiding at the edge of the penalty area before shooting into the top of the net.

The goal provided a much-needed spark for Everton and Jessica Park almost added a second with a low shot, but Anna Leat reacted quickly inside Villa’s goal to make the save.

Previous The government issues an ordinance to expand the Chennai metropolitan planning area to 5,904 km2.
Next San Anselmo's Measure J deserves cautious support - Marin Independent Journal